So this morning, when I was drying my hair and noticed Belle's little body plopped across my bed with her nose in a book, I wasn't too surprised. Then she said, "Mom, did you know that you can set up a string...and if the bunny nibbles on it, a rock will fall on it and kill it?". She has been reading Thorton Burgess' "The Burgess Animal Book for Children", and I know that Mr. Burgess' strength is his ability to convey a lot of information about the animal kingdom through fun stories about Peter Rabbit, Reddy Fox, Jumper the Hare, and Mother Nature, among many others. I thought this was a little dark for Mr. Burgess, but I just said a hesitating, "Uh huh" as I finished applying my mascara.
Next, my eight-year-old animal lover started matter-of-factly rattling off a whole list of ways in which one could trap, kill or incapacitate small woodland creatures. Yes, it was time for me to come around the corner and investigate. This is what I found:
She had found her Dad's Survival Guide from his time in the military. Both her father and her grandfather will be very proud to read this post. :)
1 comment:
Hey! Great to reconnect by reading all the posts you've made until I'd have to go searching elsewhere...I'm actually glad there aren't any more posts below the stick figure Grant family b/c I'm afraid I would just keep reading...and now it's nearly midnight (my intent was to just take a quick peak, see how things were w/ you...BUT as it turned out, I so enjoyed seeing and reading everything, taking it all in)...you all look like you're doing great!
Del was sitting nearby while I read your blog...kept reading him off pieces and he watched Moo's violin recital. Great job, Moo!!
Love to you from both of us...our kiddos too b/c I know they'd love you! :)
Post a Comment